If you have come here looking for a way to stream media using the Kodi Chromecast combination, then you have arrived at the right place. In this guide on How to Install Kodi on Chromecast,we will be taking a look at the steps required to use this app for Chrome Cast.
Kodi is a free and open source media player. It lets its users watch media from either their local or network storage. It also allows you to stream media from online sources with the help of various plug-ins. The app has a 10-foot user interface so that you can use it with TVs and remote.
There are basically three methods of streaming Kodi on Chromecast. One is long and a little complex and the other two are pretty easy and simple to carry out.
Kodi Chromecast: Methods and benefits
As I’ve mentioned in the above paragraph, there are 3 methods to get this job done. Two methods can be carried out on an Android device and the remaining one has to be done using a PC.
One thing to note on this topic is that you cannot use Kodi for Chromecast using an iOS device. So, getting it out of the way, we can now move on to the process.
Install Kodi on Chromecast gives you many advantages like you can watch the movies and TV shows in a much larger and wider screen than your Android phone or a PC. Moreover, the steps are also pretty easy, so it doesn’t hurt to try this out.
You are going to need the following things to carry out this method. A Google Chromecast Dongle, the Kodi Movie App on either one of your devices and a proper Internet connection for the download and streaming parts. We have explained each method in a very detailed manner in the following sections.
Using Kodi on Chromecast with Android or iOS
In this method, we are only going to focus on the Android-based methods, so you have to get your Android devices ready to execute this method. There are two methods to stream Kodi on Chromecast with Android: the long and power friendly way or the battery consuming and short way.
The long way:
- There are a few things you need to download before we start this process. If you don’t already have Kodi installed on your phone, then get it from here.
- Other apps and files you will need are ES file Explorer, LocalCast, and the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file.
- After installing ES file Explorer, open it and go to Settings from the menu. Then enter the Display Settings and enable the “Show hidden files” option.
- Copy the .xml file and navigate to Android|Data|org.xbmc.kodi|files|.kodi. And then paste it in the user data folder.
- Once you do that, open the Kodi App and open any video you want. The app will open LocalCast if you don’t have any other casting apps installed. If you do, then you will have to select LocalCast from the list.
- After that, select your Chromecast device and click “Play”. This will finally stream Kodi on Chromecast.
The Short Way:
- This is a relatively easy and short Kodi Chromecast method. Here you only need the App and the Google Home App. You can get the Google Home app from the Play Store or download it from this link.
- Open Google Home and open the menu. Click on the “Cast screen/audio”.
- You may get a prompt stating that screencasting is not optimized for your device. Ignore it and click “OK”.
- Google Home will search and display the available Chromecast devices. Select yours and your phone’s screen will be streamed onto your TV.
- Now, go back to the home screen and open the Kodi APK. Play any video and it will start playing on your TV.
These were the two methods that can be used to install Kodi on Chromecast with the help of an Android device. Now the third method is the one in which we will use a Windows powered PC. I have explained the entire method in the next section.
Kodi for Chromecast using a PC
After completing two methods of Kodi Chromecast using Android devices, we will now move on to the process using a Windows PC for the same task. This method is also relatively easy compared to the very first method. You can use this method when you primarily use your PC for major stuff.
- First things first, you need to have Kodi App installed on your PC. You can download and install it from this link.
- After the download is complete, install the app by following the on-screen instructions.
- In this method, we are going to make the use of Google Chrome along with an extension called Google Cast.
- If you don’t have Chrome on your PC, then download it from here.
- Open Chrome and open the menu from the top-right corner and click on “Extensions” under “More tools”.
- Search for “Google Cast” and install that extension. After that, you will see a small cast button near the menu button on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on that button and a small pop-up window will open. Click on “Cast to” to reveal the drop down menu and select “Cast Desktop”.
- Then select your Chromecast device from the list and your whole PC screen will stream to your Chromecast connected TV.
- After that, open Kodi Chromecast and play any video and will stream from your PC as well as your TV.
With the completion of this method, we have completed all the three methods to stream Kodi for Chromecast. You just need to follow the steps accurately to successfully carry out the process.
Now, that we have completed all the methods of streaming this app on Chrome cast, this article comes to an end. If you enjoyed reading this guide on how to install kodi chromecast then please share it with your friends. For any further assistance, contact us at Kodi App.